| Experiment 1- Salt Water, Regular Water and Ice Cube Tray |
| Experiment 2- Salt Water, Regular Water and Plastic Cups |
3.
Experiment 1: Ice Cube Trays | |||
Time | Regular Water | Time | Salt Water |
11:14 | Liquid | 11:14 | Liquid |
11:30 | Liquid | 11:30 | Liquid |
11:45 | Ice crystals are starting to form on the side of ice cube tray | 11:45 | Liquid |
12:00 | Thin layer on top | 12:00 | Small crystals for on edge on top of ice cube tray |
12:15 | Beginning to freeze, getting hard on top | 12:15 | More water crystals on top |
12:30 | Mostly froze, a few water bubbles in the bottom | 12:30 | Thin layer on top forming |
12:45 | Froze | 12:45 | Top is hard, water on bottom |
Experiment 2: Plastic Cups | |||
Time | Regular Water | Time | Salt Water |
3:05 | Liquid | 3:05 | Liquid |
3:20 | Liquid | 3:20 | Liquid |
3:40 | A few water crystals are starting to appear around edge of glass | 3:40 | Liquid |
3:55 | Thin layer of ice on top of glass | 3:55 | Water crystals are forming- not many |
4:15 | Bottom of glass of water is still liquid, but top is getting hard | 4:15 | Thin layer on top |
4:45 | Froze | 4:45 | Top part is getting hard |
5. Controlled Variables: Water, ice cube trays, plastic cups, Great Value Brand Salt.
6. I believe that the regular water came to the freezing state first because regular water freezes at 0' F whereas if you add salt to wter, it's reezing point becomes lower.
7. Image of atoms that make up water molecules:
8. Animation that shows how water molecules are arranged in the three states of matter for water. (Once link is open click on the word Magnify under the picture.)
Solid State: http://www.visionlearning.com//app/obj_tools/library/objects/Flash/VLObject-1435-030317040352.swf
Liquid State:
Gas State:
9. Scientific Method:
- Ask a Question
- Do Background Research
- Construct a Hypothesis
- Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
- Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
- Communicate Your Results
Step 1: Ask a question: Does salt water freeze faster or slower than regular water?
Step 2: Do background research: Has there been other research done? Researched the topic online. Also looked at options as to how I wanted to setup this experiment. Will the kind of salt used make a different? How much salt should I put in?
Step 2: Do background research: Has there been other research done? Researched the topic online. Also looked at options as to how I wanted to setup this experiment. Will the kind of salt used make a different? How much salt should I put in?
Step 3: Construct Hypothesis: I thought that the regular water would freeze first because there has been nothing added to it.
Step 4: Test with an experiment: As my pictures and graph show above, I tested this experiment twice. I used the same amount of water both times but used ice cube trays and plastic cups.
Step 5: Analyze results/Draw Conclusion: When looking at my results it showed that the regular water froze before the salt water both times that I tested it.
Step 6: Hypothesis is True or Hypothesis is False or partically true: My hypothesis was true as my data shows the results of a quicker freeze time for regular water.
Step 7: Retest the experiment: This time I used plastic cups instead of the ice cube trays.
Step 4: Test with an experiment: As my pictures and graph show above, I tested this experiment twice. I used the same amount of water both times but used ice cube trays and plastic cups.
Step 5: Analyze results/Draw Conclusion: When looking at my results it showed that the regular water froze before the salt water both times that I tested it.
Step 6: Hypothesis is True or Hypothesis is False or partically true: My hypothesis was true as my data shows the results of a quicker freeze time for regular water.
Step 7: Retest the experiment: This time I used plastic cups instead of the ice cube trays.
Step 8: Report Results: After performing this experiment for a second time I found that regular water freezes faster than salt water.
No comments:
Post a Comment